Sunday, June 14, 2020

Jasper Love Update



Our seven-year-old broke 63 pounds last week! This definitely puts him in his fighting weight range and he is certainly feeling strong and energized. We consulted with a veterinarian nutritionist, Dr. Churchill, at UMN to see what might be next in Jasper’s wonderful world of food. We wanted to stabilize his weight without compromising his recovery and hoped to gain some recommendations for replacements in his all Rx diet.
Here is her recommendation. Jasper will continue to eat the same prescription food, just less of it as he steps down from his starvation correction portions. Oh, boy. I anticipate he may get a little cranky. :^)  And the other big change for him is crackdown on treats- even those organic dog cookies he loves. Now I’m thinking REALLY cranky.
Jasper and Bella each get a frozen kong whenever I drive away to work, 5 days a week. It’s been easy fun just loading them with nutritious, delicious, soothing snacks. Now I am asked to measure and apportion calories in the kongs I fill. Now who’s getting cranky? Ok I can do this and I’m sure I will be quick at it once I do the math. Sigh.
Jasper’s daily medications and supplements, and monthly vet checks and weigh-ins continue through at least 2020. So here we go. It’s a new reel of the Jasper love movie and thanks for staying tuned.
If you have already contributed to Jasper Love via a deposit to Boone Veterinary Hospital in our name, thank you. (Please note the hospital doesn’t tell me WHO donates, so YOU have to tell me to get a proper Jasper thank you.) If you are only able to wag along and pray with us, thank you, as well.
Invitations to dog walk remain open for summer. We can wear masks and social distance as we stroll. Bella is easy to walk and I’ll be just six feet away with Jasper. I can even take both leashes if you simply prefer to tag along. We would love to be with you and we know some quiet, nearly private places to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment