Sunday, August 21, 2016

Title IX kicks in

I took this photo last August in anticipation of an autumn reunion with my high school field hockey team in Cleveland. Those are my cleats. Yes, they still fit and I wore them to the reunion.  The embroidered 55 was salvaged from my practice vest and repurposed on a pillow by my dear mum. Of course, the reunion was a gas. Still undefeated, the SHHS varsity team of 1968.
August 2016 I watched the Olympics with awe for the great athletes coupled with huge, unfettered pride for ALL those American girls.  Title IX kicked in. It took a generation +. You go girls! GO, GO, GO.
Title IX states that: No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance. Effective June 1972.

No comments:

Post a Comment